Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Raving

I've ranted in my previous posts, but tonight I've decided to rave about a few things. First, the latest gimmick by Debonairs, the Pizza-Tower. It is filling and delicious! You can serve it with a salad and it will be enough to feed eight adults. Take-out for eight for less than R100! What a
bargain!

Look, I'm not their biggest fan . Not by a long shot. I've been lucky enough to frequent a Pizza Den franchise in Rustenburg that made the best pizza I've ever had. Their pizza's were FILLED. Even if you bought a thin-crust pizza, you got a thick pizza. I've bought pizza's there and took it home when I stayed in Rayton. That's a two-and- a-half-hour drive at the best of times. Getting back to Debonairs. Their pizza's were always anorexic in comparison. Their only standard pizza that deserves a mention is their Three Cheeses pizza, that they've discontinued after a short while. Their Crammed Crust pizza's are a bit on the rich side, even for me. Their only other offering that is worthwhile is the Triple Decker. The only item that can be excluded from this mini-rant is their hot subs. I've always been crazy about them.

The next thing I would love to include here is paper craft. I'm useless with scissors, being left-handed, and not a "natural" one at that. Ah, an opportunity to digress. As a left-handed person it is not always possible to get tools designed specifically for lefties. The two that springs to mind are scissors and computer mice. I got so used to using the right-handed versions in my own crooked or lopsided way that it is not an issue anymore. In fact, using the left-handed versions noew feels like french kissing your older sister. It's just wrong!! And for those of you that feel different about kissing your sisters like that - you need real help real fast.

Wait, here we are, back on the right track. I've been looking for websites where I can download paper templates for buildings that I can print, fold and use for one of my other interests, wargaming. I came across two that I keep visiting, even a few years down the line. The first is Canon's Craftown. All their templates can be downloaded free of charge. The second one is www.worldworksgames.com. Their stuff is not free, but once you've downloaded it you can also print as many as you need. Their main attaction for me is their medieval range

I realise they started this to trick you into using their printers and paper products more often, but in turn you get to create the most awesome things. They've got a whole town with roads and trains. And even an amusement park. My darling wife thinks it's all a bit stupid to print and build everything just to display it on a shelf. But imagine this. You have a small military force made up of those plastic army men we all used to play with as kids. They are passing office blocks and a school, looking for the bad guys. The next moment the terrorists fire at them with a bazooka. They hit a building. Now if you were playing with plastic buildings you would have to imagine the damage done to your building. And because your imagination and your friend's imagination is not linked, each have a diffierent ideaof what the damage is. With paper buildings you can actually tear away the piece that was destroyed. or draw in the charred effects of the flames. And if the building is destroyed you can just print a new one.

No comments:

Post a Comment